There are many desserts that can be whipped up on a whim to enjoy at your next barbecue. Few, however, have the charm and appeal of homemade ice cream. Ice cream consistently ranks as one of the most beloved desserts, especially in the height of summer when temperatures feel as hot as the grill that’s been fired up and cool treats are in high demand. While you can certainly make a run to the grocery store and pick up ice cream, why not think outside the carton and try your hand at making it right in your own kitchen? Preparing homemade ice cream is a surprisingly simple activity the whole family can get it on. And with some helpful tips and creative inspiration on your side, whipping up a delicious backyard barbeque dessert will be a cool breeze!
Ingredients make all the difference in the world. You and your guests deserve the highest quality ice cream, so choosing the highest quality ingredients is the key to success. Using organic dairy and eggs ensures that the ice cream will be free of preservatives and chemicals and deliver a fresh, delicious taste. The same goes for any and all flavorings used, from fresh vanilla beans to organic chocolate powders. You can even opt for dairy free creams such as almond or coconut milk to have a delicious treat that even those with allergies or intolerances can enjoy. Doing your research on which ingredients suit your cooking needs best will make your taste buds do the happy dance.
Mean Mr. Mustard Likes his Custard… Frozen
The other big decision is between ice cream and frozen custard. Frozen custard is exactly what the title implies: use egg yolks and cream, etc., to make a custard that you then freeze. Think Hagen Dasz. In St. Louis, the cultural institution of Ted Drewe’s is frozen custard heaven. Ice cream is the frozen treat that uses only cream as it’s base. It’s not as thick and rich as its custard counterpart, but still delicious when done well (not to mention faster to make with fewer pitfalls to watch out for).
Method Musts Dos
Homemade ice cream connoisseurs generally fall into two camps: those who use an ice cream maker, and those who prefer to whip up their frozen treats the old fashion way. There are pros to both methods, and whichever you choose all boils down to personal preference. No matter which way you go, the result will be delectable and the process a delight.
- Ice Cream Makers: These appliances are especially handy for dessert makers on a tight schedule. With an ice cream maker, your homemade dessert will be ready to serve in under an hour, giving you plenty of time to pull off your grill cover and prepare the rest of your backyard barbeque meal.
- By Hand: If you prefer a more traditional experience, opt for making your ice cream old school-style. While the process may be a little more consuming than using a machine, hand mixing ice cream is a great way to spend an afternoon with the family without having to spend cash on an ice cream maker.
What’s Your Frozen Flavor?
One of the most exciting parts of making homemade ice cream is deciding which flavors you want to whip up. This is the perfect time to think outside the carton. With a whole world of flavors to be explored, from old school favorites to more unique options, you can’t possibly go wrong. Here are a few of our favorite flavors the whole family can enjoy:
- Matcha Madness: Matcha powder is an herbal Japanese delight and has become wildly popular in recent years, popping up in everything from lattes to candy bars. Add some matcha powder into your ice cream mix for a rich, sumptuous green tea flavor.
- Blueberry Pie: If you’re looking to add a little kick to your traditional vanilla, why not opt for a touch of blueberry pie? Frozen pie crust and blueberry filling is all you need to add to your vanilla batter for a yummy twist on this classic favorite.
- Honey Lavender: This unique flavor combination is perfect for those who want a little bit of sweetness without an excess amount of sugar. Edible lavender flowers, organic honey, and a touch of lemon juice can be combined to create a truly unique flavor experience your backyard barbeque guests will be fawning over.
Homemade ice cream is only as good as the toppings you add. This is especially true at a backyard barbecue, where your friends and family will all have their own personal preference for ice cream condiments. The best way to cater to everyone’s topping needs is to set up a decked-out toppings bar where you can offer your guests everything from fun rainbow sprinkles to yummy cookie crumbles. You can even add fresh fruits to the mix for a non-candy option. Once your guests have had the chance to customize their ice cream to perfection, it’s time to take off the outdoor chair covers, kick back, and enjoy some creamy goodness.