Spring is without a doubt the perfect season for throwing a sunny weather get-together filled with food, friends, and plenty of fun. But instead of hosting a generic backyard bash, why not opt for an exciting theme party your guests will never forget? These unique and exciting ideas will give you all the inspiration you need for the ultimate themed party.
Ice Cream Social
Ice cream treats are so widely adored that they deserve their own sweet celebration. Every partygoer from kids to kids at heart will jump for joy for this delicious idea – just make sure to have every guest’s favorite flavor on hand, from classic vanilla to more adventurous options like green tea ice cream.
A “serve yourself” ice cream bar gives your guests the chance to tailor their ice cream creations to their tastes while saving you the hassle of having to serve. Set up three stations: ice cream base, sauces and syrups, and dry toppings. Be sure to lay tarps underneath to protect your grass or patio from sweet spillage.
- Mint Chocolate Chip
Let it Pour
- Chocolate sauce
- Hot fudge
- Marshmallow sauce
- Peanut butter sauce
Top of the Line
- Crumbled cookies
- Roasted nuts
- Crumbled toffee
- PB Cups
Keeping ice cream frozen in the heat of your backyard is simple with the help of coolers filled to the brim with ice. Make it a point to replenish your cooler with more ice on the hour, and keep an eye out for any leakage or melting. The last thing you want to have to deal with is a gooey ice cream mess.
Right as Rain-bows
Spring is bursting at the seams with color, from the greens of freshly mowed grass to the custom hues of your fire pit covers. What better way to celebrate the vibrant hues of the season than with a whimsical rainbow themed party?
From decor to snacks, the possibilities are endless when it comes to bringing ROYGBIV to life.
- Decorate your post box with a plethora of brightly colored balloons and create a path to the party with a line of fun rainbow pinwheels staked into the grass.
- Instead of brightly colored sugary sweets, opt for a tray of fruit arranged in the rainbow order: strawberries, orange slices, pineapple chunks, kiwis, blueberries, and finally grapes. You can even add scoops of marshmallows on either end for some sweet and fluffy clouds.
- Rainbow up your beverage list too – from red fruit punch all the way a little purple food dye in the lemonade.
- Inexpensive curtain rings and crêpe paper streamers is all you need for a craft that’s as entertaining as it is simple. Demonstrate how to knot a streamer to the ring and have the kids tie each streamer on in ROYGBIV order. The result is a cute and colorful wind streamer they can take home as a party treat.
- Integrate the rainbow theme into the protective measures you take in your backyard. Sectional covers and TV covers can be customized with rainbow graphics to help set the colorful scene.
Tea for Two (or more)/ Tea Party
If you’re looking to bring some refined elegance to your springtime gathering, consider hosting high tea in your backyard garden. Send out charming handmade invitations listing the afternoon’s tea offerings as well as the dress code. A tea party calls for everyone to dress in their finest, after all.
A tea party is not a tea party without a finger sandwich menu. Classic cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches are always a crowd favorite. Mini PBJ’s for the kiddos is a winner as well. Ham and cheese, prosciutto and romano or fresh mozzarella, and Irish cheddar with stone ground mustard are all bound to make for some happy guests. From there add crumpets with clotted cream and jam, scones of any variety, and virtually any amuse-bouche bake.
The most important aspect of a tea party is the tea itself. With the sheer variety of blends available, crafting the perfect pouring menu may seem a bit overwhelming. Here are a few of the most highly recommended, party approved tea blends to help narrow things down:
- English Breakfast: the old standby has a little caffeine kick and served with a little cream and perhaps a bit of sugar is a British tradition.
- Earl Grey: This classic black tea is beloved for its refreshing floral notes. You can also get varieties with a slightly citrus flavor. It pairs best with desserts such as scones or lemon cookies.
- Mint: It’s crucial to have a caffeine-free option for your guests, and zesty mint teas fit the bill. Mint teas are perfect companions to finger sandwiches, and offer a refreshing reprieve on a warm spring afternoon.
- Oolong: The complex and slightly smoky flavors of Oolong are perfect for your more adventurous guests. Serve with a savory charcuterie board to experience the full taste profile of this multilayered tea blend.
Take your backyard across the pond to the southernmost border of the United States with a party inspired by the Mexican-American fusion known as Tex-Mex. Combine the best of both worlds for an afternoon full of good company and even better food.
- You can’t go wrong by inviting your party guests to go down the line with a DIY fajita bar.
- Thin skirt steak and tender chipotle lime chicken can be grilled hot in a skillet with a mixture of caramelized onions and colorful bell peppers.
- You can even maximize your output by cooking these in a wok before transferring them into more apt serving dishes.
- Serve your fajitas with rice, refried beans, and tortillas (corn and flour, letting guests pick their poison).
- Take things one step further with chips, salsa, guacamole, and queso dip from your favorite local Mexican restaurant.
- What’s a Tex-Mex party without the main attraction? Cocktail time comes full circle with a selection of margaritas for your guests to sample. It doesn’t matter if you decide to go over the rocks or ice out with a frozen concoction served alongside your fajitas.
Say “Aloha” to sunny weather with a laid back Luau. You don’t need a plane ticket to the tropics to throw a fun and festive tropical party. It’s an island breeze to play island host by serving up piña coladas, zombies, and Mai Tais in coconut cups while your guests practice their best limbo skills and relax poolside – even if it’s just an inflatable one.
Setting the scene for a tropical bash will require a few props. Tiki torches, inflatable palm trees, sea shells, leis, and tropical flower garlands are simple set-ups that can be found at most party stores. Be sure to integrate bright, tropical colors such as lime green and hot pink into your party decor. These hues can be integrated throughout your party space, from your serving ware to the festive graphics on your sectional covers and tarps.